Speak

A book discussion group focusing on the book, SPEAK, by Laurie Halse Anderson. Participants have been members of the MD Adult Book Club and the student Books 'n Bagels group.

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Books 'n Bagels met this morning and I was very impressed with the comments:

-Heather was shallow- participants compared her to people when they first joined our schools; once others arrived the new students dropped the ones that had befriended them.
-It was agreed that secret rooms, like the closet, can be found.
-Students know other students that relate in the same way Melinda did.
-Comments were made about the racist teacher and it was agreed that we didn't have any at this school.

We had to end when the bell rang and still had a lot to say. Can you comment on what you were unable to say earlier? Thanks again for all your involvement.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tierant said...

Hi everyone!

I'm so sorry I missed Books and Bagels this morning. I had planned to be there, but I wasn't able to stay. It sounds like you had a lively discussion.

When I used to teach this book to high school students, some of them had problems relating to Melinda. They felt like if she just opened her mouth, that everything would have been okay. But I knew from experience that a lot of people who did come forward and report a crime like that weren't believed -- sometimes even by their own families. So I would always ask the students, "What if Melinda went to THIS school? What if she reported that the most popular kid in school had assaulted her? Would you believe her?"

You see, what I've found is that there is a high price to pay for breaking the silence. Usually the victim has to constantly justify and prove him or herself. That's why the only issue I have with "Speak" is the end. It seems like once Melinda does speak, her world is okay again. I think life is often more complicated than that. I'm not saying that Melinda -- or anyone else in her situation -- shouldn't speak. I'm just saying that sometimes we forget how difficult that can be. I had so many kids who would start to tell me about stuff and then stop.

That's why I think Mr. Freeman was such a great teacher and friend. He didn't say, "Tell me what's wrong, Melinda." He let HER pick the moment to speak.

Again, sorry I missed the meeting. I hope some of you will talk to me on this blog.

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home